St. Patrick’s Day is an Irish national holiday that is celebrated annually every March 17th. During that day, Ireland’s values are exalted and promoted, and its patron saint is honored. Today, it has spread to other parts of the world and has become very popular. So, if you want to know more about this celebration, here we’ll tell you everything you need to know.
How should we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?
If you don’t know much about Irish culture and you don’t know how to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, don’t worry! Here we tell you the most important stuff:
- The three-leaf shamrock: it is said that Saint Patrick used it to explain the holy trinity when preaching. Over time, it became part of Irish identity and tradition.
- The color green: This tradition originated on the battlefield. Irish soldiers wore green flags and uniforms to differentiate themselves from enemies who wore other colors.
- The pinch: it is a more modern and fun tradition. It consists of pinching whoever is not wearing something green on St. Patrick’s Day.
- Drinking beer: this custom originated from a religious tradition. On St. Patrick’s Day, the Lenten restrictions were lifted, and people could drink and celebrate. Of course, if you are going to drink that day, remember to do it responsibly.
- The parades: they started in Ireland and have spread to other places around the world thanks to Irish emigration. They celebrate Irish traditions and values, promote Irish culture and honor St. Patrick.
- Other events: in many cities, traditional concerts and dances are held and other religious and cultural activities.
Every March 17th, St. Patrick’s Day commemorates the death of the patron saint of Ireland. And even though it began as a solemn celebration, it became Irish national holiday overtime. It is a perfect opportunity to exalt the values of that country and share and have a good time.
Marketing ideas for St. Patrick’s Day.
Like many other festivities, St. Patrick’s Day is an ideal opportunity for advertising and marketing. There are many ways to take advantage of this celebration commercially, and here we show you some good ideas:
- Paint green your brand: use this color during that day in your logo, digital platforms, or in the decoration of your business. You just have to let your creativity flow.
- Stimulate participation in social networks: involve your followers with challenges or some other fun interaction.
- Create a special product: adapt any of your products or services to the celebration, for example, making a green version.
- Offer special discounts: link offers to this celebration.
- Make a contest: offer prizes or special benefits that day to stimulate the participation of people.
- Organize a special event: offer services and amenities and invite people to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with you.
3 Cool marketing campaigns about St. Patrick’s Day.
There are many successful marketing campaigns for St. Patrick’s Day. Here we show you three of them:
1. McDonald’s: a special product for the occasion.
For a while, McDonald’s has released a drink called «Shamrock Shake» around St. Patrick’s Day. It is a mint-based product to incorporate the color green into the concept. Every year invites people to consume this smoothie to join in the celebration.
2. Dunkin’ Donuts: a viral challenge.
Not everyone goes viral on social media. But Dunkin’ Donuts did it with a campaign for St. Patrick’s Day in 2018. They invited people to show how they were celebrating the occasion using the hashtag #DDLuckyDozen. People won special prizes like free donuts or the possibility to create their own flavors.
3. Call of Duty: go where the users are.
If users don’t come to you, you can pick them up wherever they are. That’s what the Call of Duty video game series did for St. Patrick’s Day. In 2016, they went to the virtual world. They found the online gaming community by launching a special Irish-themed game: «Operation: Shamrock & Awe.» The video game, which was only available for a limited time, included missions, weapons, and more amazing content. Of course, it was a success.
Now you know everything you need to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Keep reading our website to access more content on marketing and entrepreneurship: 786Magazine.com.
Also, you can follow us on social networks to know when we publish new content: